16 Fun Facts That Can Leave You Amazed!
Here are several facts that you probably did not know before. And for the upcoming curiosity about the following facts, yes they are all unbelievably true!
1. Bananas are berries, but strawberries are not.
Bananas are grown from a single ovary flower; with soft skin, fleshy middle, and tiny seeds, it meets all botanical requirements for a berry. Whereas strawberries are grown from a flower with more than one ovary.
2. Nintendo was founded in 1889.
Nintendo was a Japanese playing cards company. It moved into the toy and game industry in the 60s. After some innovations, they invented some of the most successful video games in history such as Game Boy.
3. A woman named Violet Jessop survived the sinking of both the Titanic and its sister ship, the Britannic. (Nickname: Miss Unsinkable)
Violet Jessop is the woman who survived both, Titanic and Britannic, by finding her way through lifeboat. She once even got a severe injury on her head yet managed to survive three maritime incidents.
4. Cheetahs can’t roar. They can only meow like domestic house cats.
Cheetahs’ voice box is fixed, with vocal cords that vibrate as they breathe in and out. This takes away their ability to roar, which leads to them purring and meowing.
5. Pineapples take about two years to grow.
Pineapples are slow-growing Bromeliads. From slips, they take about a year to mature. And from suckers, they take about 1 ½ or 2 years.
6. Movie trailers were originally shown after the movie, which is why they were called “trailers”.
In the 1930s it was decided since too many audience members were leaving right after the film, the movie theaters started to show trailers after the feature film. However, the name trailer stuck.
7. Peanuts aren’t technically nuts.
Peanuts are a legume, making them a member of the family of plant-based items that include lentils, beans, and soybeans.
8. Octopuses lay 56,000 eggs at a time.
An octopus can lay around 56,000 eggs at a time. But after mating, both genders of octopus die.
9. The man with the world’s deepest voice can make sounds humans can’t hear.
Tim storms’ voice is the deepest of any human being and can be heard by elephants.
10. You only have two body parts that never stop growing.
As we get older, our noses, earlobes, and ear muscles keep getting bigger, being the two body parts that never stop growing. That’s because they’re made mostly of cartilage cells, which divide more as we age.
11. No number before 1,000 contains the letter A.
It’s very true! No number before One Thousand has the letter A in it. It’s basic but surely you haven’t thought of it before.
12. The inventor of the microwave appliance only received $2 for his discovery.
Percy Spenser melted chocolate and invented the microwave. He only received $2 for his patent for a microwave oven – the gratuity Raytheon awarded all employees for patents obtained by the company.
13. The Eiffel Tower can grow more than six inches during the summer.
The Eiffel Tower can grow up to 6 inches taller during hot Parisian summer days. This is because of “thermal expansion.” When an object is heated, its particles gain kinetic energy, move faster, and take up more space.
14. Bees can fly higher than Mount Everest.
Instead of beating their wings faster, the bees increase the angle at which they extend their wings with each beat, reaching closer to their heads and abdomens each time. This helps them fly higher than the mountain peaks.
15. Abraham Lincoln was a bartender.
Abraham Lincoln was the only president who was also a licensed bartender. Lincoln was co-owner of Berry and Lincoln, a store/drinking establishment in New Salem, Illinois, where he lived from 1831 to 1837.
16. The French-language Scrabble World Champion doesn’t speak French.
Nigel Richards is born and raised in New Zealand. He became the scrabble world champion in 2007 and later in 2011, 2013, 2018, and 2019; being the only person to have won the title more than once.